Types of Car Accident Back/Spinal Injuries
The back and spine are composed of complex structures, including bones, muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments and nerves. The spine houses and protects the spinal cord, a delicate and vital system of nerves that is crucial to normal body functions. Injury to any of these back or spinal components can result in severe pain, weakness, loss of mobility and even paralysis.
Ligori & Ligori, Attorneys at Law, handles numerous car accidents where the victims sustain back and/or spinal injuries. The back is essentially the framework for the body, and it absorbs an incredible amount of force in a high-impact car accident. Even minor back injuries can take time to heal and may also worsen over time if the victim does not receive adequate treatment.
Common Back and Spinal Cord Injuries from Car Accidents
Some of the most common back and spinal cord injuries we see in Florida car accidents include:
- Whiplash – Caused by the sudden back-and-forth motion of the head due to impact, this strains the neck and upper back muscles and tendons, creating an injury that is difficult to diagnose and even more difficult to overcome.
- Soft tissue injuries – Any impact to a vehicle will cause the body to move about, even when properly restrained. Soft tissue injuries include sprains, strains and tears to muscles, tendons and ligaments in the neck and back.
- Herniated disc – The force absorbed by the back and spine in a car accident can cause the discs in the spine to rupture (herniate), and the protruding matter inside the disc typically presses on nerves or the spinal cord, causing pain and other symptoms.
- Fractures – Any structural components in the back or spine can be broken or cracked by the blunt force sustained in a car accident. Some fractures can be difficult to discern until symptoms worsen, even days after the accident.
- Spinal cord injuries – Any damage to the spinal cord is serious and could cause permanent nerve damage, paralysis and other lingering effects. Even a bruised spinal cord can require an extensive period of time for recovery and healing.
Back and spinal cord injuries require immediate medical attention, and some therapies will last for many weeks or months. Some disabilities caused by these injuries can be permanent, changing the victim’s life forever. A back/spinal injury personal injury lawsuit may win the compensation you need to cover these extensive medical treatments, as well as loss of wages or your career, pain and suffering.
Contact Ligori & Ligori in Tampa, Ocala, Lakeland or Key West if you or a loved one have sustained back or spinal cord injuries in a Florida car accident. Your initial consultation is free, and we are here to help.