Rear-end collisions are some of the most common types of vehicle crashes, in Florida and the rest of the United States. Due to the nature of these types of collisions, they often cause significant injuries. The occupants in the front vehicle are often unaware of the oncoming vehicle and pending crash, and are therefore not ready for the impact. The sudden, unexpected collision does considerable damage to various parts of the body.
How Frequent are Rear-End Collisions?
Rear-end collisions occur more frequently than they should, particularly because they are almost always due to driver negligence. Some of the latest crash statistics include:
- Almost 1/3 of all injury-causing crashes in Florida are rear-end collisions.
- Rear-end collisions are responsible for over 7% of all traffic-related fatalities and nearly 20% of those fatalities involving two-vehicle collisions.
- Rear-end collisions in which the lead vehicle is stopped or moving very slowly prior to the crash account for the majority of rear-end crashes.
- The most frequent injuries suffered by victims of rear-end collisions include whiplash, TBI, head trauma, facial scarring or disfigurement, back injuries and paralysis and broken bones.
What Causes Rear-End Collisions?
Most all rear-end collisions are due to driver negligence on the part of the rear, or colliding, driver. The most common contributing factors of rear-end crashes are:
- Following too closely (tailgating)
- Distracted driving
- Improper lane change
- Hazardous conditions
As anyone can see, the above list is clearly due to poor judgment on the part of a driver while behind the wheel. This poor judgment, or negligence, leaves the driver unable to make the necessary corrections or adjustments while driving to avoid an accident when conditions ahead of them suddenly change.
How Can Ligori & Ligori Help When You are the Victim in a Rear-End Collision?
When rear-end collisions occur, the insurance company of the at-fault driver will typically attempt a quick settlement. This is not for your benefit; in fact, it is really to save the insurance company from paying out more for extended medical treatment and other losses. Ligori & Ligori can often negotiate these cases to obtain a more equitable settlement that takes your losses into consideration. If negotiations fail, we are fully prepared to vigorously pursue your case in court to obtain a fair settlement or judgement.
The following examples are real case results from our website:
- Our client was traveling on Fowler Avenue, in Hillsborough County, FL. As he slowed for traffic stopped ahead, he was suddenly crashed into by the defendant, who failed to pay attention to the vehicles in front of him. Our client suffered permanent neck and back injuries as a result of the crash. Following an initial offer of $20,000, Ligori & Ligori negotiated a final settlement for the client totaling $450,000.00.
- Our client was stopped for traffic on Big Bend Road in Hillsborough County, FL. The defendant driver failed to stop and crashed into the rear of her vehicle, causing a violent collision. Our client suffered very serious and permanent injuries to her neck and back as a result of the crash. Following an initial offer to settle the matter for $15,000, Ligori & Ligori successfully obtained $285,000.00 for our client’s injuries.
- Our client was stopped for traffic on Henderson Avenue in Hillsborough County, FL. The defendant driver failed to stop and crashed into the rear of her vehicle, which resulted in a total loss. Our client suffered a permanent injury to her neck which required surgery. Following an initial offer to settle the matter for $7,000, Ligori & Ligori successfully obtained a resolution for $300,000.00.
- Our client was stopped at a red light on North Nebraska Avenue in Hillsborough County, FL. The defendant driver failed to stop and crashed into the rear of his vehicle, which resulted in a total loss. Our 72-year-old client sustained permanent injuries to his neck and back. Following an initial offer to settle the matter for $28,859.00, Ligori & Ligori successfully obtained a full recovery for the client for $195,000.00.
When you are the victim of a rear-end collision in Florida, call Ligori & Ligori Attorneys at Law. We have four offices to serve you and we can help you obtain fair compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Posted on behalf of