As a customer, the odds of sustaining a serious injury are relatively small. However, those who do suffer in retail store accidents may spend time out of work or need rehabilitation.
That’s why it is important to know what to do in the case you an accident does happen while in a store. Even if you don’t think you sustained an injury, some injuries may manifest days or weeks after the incident.
These steps will help ensure you have the option to claim damages or expenses for any injuries that befall you while at a store in case they do become serious.
- Let a store employee know. The store should write up an incident report to send to their insurance company. If they don’t take steps to file a report right away, ask that they do so and provide you with a copy. Do not leave the store until you are satisfied the manager has taken appropriate actions to fill out an incident report.
- Get the names of witnesses and store employees working at the time. Ask for the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the incident. You may also want to ask for a copy of employees who were on duty at the store that day.
- Take pictures of the scene and your injuries, if possible. If you are able, take some time to pull out your phone or camera and take some pictures or record the scene, including any hazards you notice such as unrestrained boxes overhead, a spill in the aisle, or malfunctioning escalators. In addition to photos of the scene, be sure to keep the clothes and shoes that you wore that day.
- Seek Medical Treatment. Your health—or the health of a loved one—should be your number-one priority following a slip, trip, and fall accident. If you’ve been hurt, it’s important to see a doctor so that your injuries can be properly documented. Those medical records will be important pieces of evidence should you decide to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Call an Attorney. When considering legal action, the best person on your side is an experienced attorney. Since many slip and fall cases are difficult to prove, you are best served by the resources of a successful law firm. We have the experience, knowledge, and track record of success to recover the money you deserve.
Many retail stores take appropriate steps to protect their customers at all times. Knowing how to handle an unexpected accident or injury, however, gives you the ability to take control of the situation when they don’t.
If you are hurt in an accident Call Me On My Cell! Reach out at www.callmeonmycell.com or call at (888) 254-7119.
Posted on behalf of