Common Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The beautiful climate we enjoy in The Sunshine State makes Florida a prime territory for motorcycle enthusiasts. Plenty of bright sunshine and warm weather is just too tempting, prompting many residents and vacationers to ride and enjoy that sense of unique freedom a motorcycle offers. However, an average of over 10,000 motorcycles crashes occur each year in Florida, with an average of 600 fatalities per year. In the majority of these motorcycle accidents, serious injuries occurred.
The open exposure on a motorcycle, compared to the protection of an enclosed vehicle, makes it substantially more dangerous. There is a much greater risk of bodily harm when you are involved in an accident while riding a motorcycle. Significant injury and even death are ever-present risks. Ligori & Ligori is a motorcycle accident law firm in Florida that serves the victims of these accidents. Some of the common types of motorcycle accident injuries we see include the following.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – An NHTSA study revealed that approximately 21% of riders suffered a TBI in an accident. Of this group, 54% of the riders did not survive.
- Spinal cord injuries – This type of catastrophic injury usually causes some sort of permanent disability for the victim.
- Lower-extremity injuries – An NHTSA study of lower-extremity injuries in motorcycle crashes concluded that these injuries are sustained by riders more frequently than any other type of injury. The most common injuries were leg injuries and bone fractures.
- Internal injuries – Blunt force trauma and penetrating trauma are common in motorcycle accidents, leading to critical internal injuries.
- Road rash – This is the term for serious skin abrasions caused by a rider making contact with a road’s hard surface. This type of injury is high risk for infections and permanent scarring.
Compensation for Florida Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Riding a motorcycle is simply dangerous due to the lack of protection for the rider. Although modern motorcycle safety features and protective equipment are better than ever, motorcycle accidents still cause some of the most catastrophic injuries that require extensive recovery and rehabilitation. The costs of these medical treatments are extreme; add to that the time you lose off work in recovery, and you could suffer immense losses.
Ligori & Ligori is a Florida motorcycle accident injury law firm with offices in Tampa, Lakeland, Ocala and Key West. We can help you pursue compensation in a motorcycle accident injury lawsuit that will help cover medical and other expenses. Contact us if you or a loved one are in a motorcycle accident in Florida.