Types of Car Accident Neck Injuries
Car accidents can produce all kinds of forces that have adverse effects on the human body, in drivers, passengers or bystanders. Many impacts cause neck injuries due to how the human body is constructed. The neck is relatively weak to withstand brute force, and the several-pound weight of the head only complicates matters. The hard snapping back-and-forth action that is common in car accidents is generally the cause of most neck injuries.
The most common car accident neck injuries can include:
- Muscle spasms – Straining the ligaments in the neck can cause pain, and that familiar “crick in the neck” feeling that lingers for days or even weeks after an accident.
- Lacerations or abrasions – Open wounds are ripe for infection, while deep lacerations may damage ligaments or tendons.
- Whiplash – The sudden back-and-forth motion of the head affects the cervical ligament at the base of the neck, causing pain and other lingering effects.
- Vocal cord damage – Caused by impact to the larynx, this injury can affect speech, even permanently.
- Brain injuries – Any injury to arteries in the neck can restrict blood flow to the brain, causing damage that may be hard to discern on initial examination.
If you suffer from any type of neck injury in a car accident, you should always seek immediate treatment from medical professionals. Some neck injuries, like whiplash, may not present with symptoms until days after the accident. That’s why it is important to establish a baseline of treatment with an immediate examination after any car accident.
Pursuing Compensation for Neck Injuries Sustained in a Tampa Car Accident
Due to the nature of many neck injuries, medical treatment may be necessary for a long period of time. Some injuries may not be evident during the initial examination. This is why pursuing compensation from the at-fault driver or other entities can be a wise course of action. In the event your car insurance isn’t adequate for the medical needs and other losses you incur, the compensation you could recover can come in handy.
Ligori & Ligori Attorneys at Law in Tampa, Ocala, Key West and Lakeland can help you if you have suffered a neck injury in a Florida car accident. We can examine your case, advise you on next steps and represent your interests if you choose to attempt to recover compensation. Contact us by phone or online today for your free initial consultation.